Sunday, January 27, 2019

I've Made it to the Shores of Lake Chapala

The trip from the shores on the Sea of Cortez in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico to the shores of Lake Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico is a long one. Click here to read about the lake.  Because I was part of a caravan made up of three RVers lead by the manager of the Roca Azul RV park in Jocotepec we had to travel at the leaders pace, which was not a good pace for me  We did in 3 days what I would have taken 10 days to drive so I could have seen some of the countryside and seaside towns we screamed through.  The last day, Thursday, I had hoped to break that drive into two days but because Teo, our leader, had to be back to work Friday morning and the gasoline crisis we decided to do it in one day.  Ugggh, 9.5 hours of driving in one day.  As we got closer to our destination we passed more and more closed gas stations.  I was fine on gas, my RV has a 50 gallon tank and the Honda's tank was full, but fellow caravaner Glen has a small gas tank so the closer we got to Jocotepec if we saw an open gas station we all filled out tanks, just to be on the safe side.  Good thing too, as there are no open gas stations here.  We figure that we're going to be here about 2 months and hopefully the gas problem will be fixed by then.

So here I am in Jocotepec, pronounced, Ho-ko-te-pec, at the western end of Lake Chapala.


Tower at our RV park.

The water level of the lake is the highest it's been in years.  
This area is a huge raspberry growing area,
as you can see, it's under water right now.

White birds, two Great Egrets and 3 or 4 white pelicans in the background.  

While I was parked at the beach in San Carlos I met a fellow RVer, Glen in a truck and camper, and we've become friends.  When Glen learned that I was going to Lake Chapala in a caravan he signed up to come along too.  So today, Sunday January 27th, we drove into Ajijic, pronounced ah-he-hec, for breakfast. 
                         
Map to The Peacock Garden restaurant.

The peacocks were napping behind a fence but the gardens were fabulous.






I'm going to put a link to Ajijic's wikipedia page here so you can read about this area and see why I'm here.  At one point in my life I was thinking of retiring to this area.  But now,  I can see that this area isn't really practical for me,  it's too far from my daughter, who lives in San Diego county, and California my state of residency.  But this semi tropical area is sure beautiful.